Nobody ever really appreciates having a washing machine in their homes. That is until they go someplace else and realize that they have to wash their clothes by hand. Maybe you are traveling across the country in an RV, or maybe you are off to college, and your mother is no longer around to do the laundry. Or maybe you just moved in a very small apartment and cannot accommodate a regular size washer, or you cannot afford it. Do you know what you need? A portable washing machine.
A portable washer is basically a miniature washing machine. Due to its size, it cannot perform the same tasks, like having many washing cycles or drying, but trust me when I say this. When you don’t have a washing machine or a laundromat nearby, this little thing will give exactly what you need. It beats ruining your clothes by hand washing them.
The benefits of a portable washing machine
I don’t even know where to start. Ever since the portable washer was released, everybody uses it as the best alternative to hand washing. And here is why.
- ü They are very small. They have a compact design that allows you to store it anywhere, even in small college dorms. You can put it in a closet or behind a door. Not to mention that it’s very lightweight. You can move it around without breaking your back. Just take it out when you need it, and after you are done, put it back. You can take it with you onan extended camping trip, put it in an RV, or wherever you might need it. It’s not called portable for nothing.
- ü Most models don’t need plumbing. That’s logical if you think about it. Where would you find plumbing in the middle of the woods? But this feature is very helpful. You can add water yourself with a bucket or another container. You may not have water pipes laying around, but I am pretty sure you can find a spring or a lake. What’s more is that these portable washing machines need very little water. Even hand washing requires more water than these small appliances.
- ü Some don’t even require electricity. That’s right. They have a handle insert that you need to spin. Before thinking that it’s too time-consuming for you, you don’t have to rotate the handle for an hour and a half, like a regular washing machine cycle. Just a few minutes and you are done. It’s not like you cannot check if that spot is gone. And if you think about the alternative, which is hand washing, isn’t that more time-consuming? Furthermore, you won’t develop detergent sores on your hands.
- ü You will not ruin your clothes. I don’t know if you ever had the chance to hand wash your clothes, but it can ruin your clothes. Not the washing per se, but if you want the clothes to dry this year, you have to squeeze as much water out of them as you can. This means that you have to twist the clothes until you can twist no more. As a result, your clothes will widen. Trust me, you don’t want that.
What to look for in the best portable washing machine?
If you decided that you want a portable washer, choosing the right one may prove to be a little confusing. The reason for your confusion is totally understandable. There are so many models out there. How can you possibly know which one is the best portable washer? To begin with, you must know what you need. Ask yourself the next questions.
- ü Do I need electricity to use it? That means you have to know where are you going to take the washer. Do you need it for camping or an RV trip? If yes, then a washing machine that does not require a power source, but is rather hand “activated,” is what you need. But if you know that you are going to have a source of energy, an electric washing machine is best for you.
- ü How much money do I have? The price range varies, but you should know that the electricportable washing machines are more expensive than the ones which have a spinning handle. If you can afford the first option, then you are all set, but if you don’t, stick to your budget. It’s more work, but as I said before, it beats washing your clothes by hand.
- ü Do I need plumbing? Some portable washers can be connected to your house’s plumbing system, but some don’t need that. You can just add the water yourself. I believe that it comes in handy most of the times, especially when you are on the road or you are a college student who lives in a dorm. Just throw in as much water as the manufacturer recommends and you are done. It’s a lot easier to connect the appliance to your water pipes, and you can leave it unattended, but if you don’t have this possibility, supplying your washer with the water it needs to wash you clothes doesn’t sound so bad. However, you need to be around for when the machine needs water to rinse and stuff like that.
- ü Where am I going to put it? There are many models on the market, and they come in different shapes and sizes. Choose the one that can fit in a particular place where you live. Size is very important, but manufacturers provide measurements, so you should know exactly where to put it. The difference between the small ones and the bigger ones is the quantity of laundry you can wash in one cycle.
- ü Is it easy to connect? If you want a portable washing machine and you want to connect it to your sink, make sure that you don’t need an engineering degree. Look for one that comes with the necessary adapters and clear instructions.
What is the best portable washing machine?
Now that you know a little bit about them, is time to choose the best portable washer. You have here three excellent suggestions, so making a choice should not be that difficult.
Haier HLP21N Pulsator 1-Cubic-Foot Portable Washer
You will need electricity for this one. This model is suited for people who have small homes/apartments, or college student who live in a dorm. It has a compact, topload design, it measures only 36 x 16.5 x 16.5 inches. You can put it in your kitchen if you like. It will blend in perfectly and, of course, will not occupy a lot of space.
The stainless steel tub can accommodate up to 6 pounds of laundry. I know that it’s not very much, but you are looking for a portable washer, which means that 6 lbsare more than enough. It has 3 water levels and 3 wash cycles: heavy, normal, or quick. You can control the machine using the electronic controls with LED indicators.
Overall, this portable washer is silent. If you are a night owl, this device will help you. It may make loud sounds when it spins and is a bit overloaded, but other than that you can sleep with it in the next room and not hear a thing. The LEDs will show cycle status and end of thecycle. No matter where you decide to place it, the portable washer has adjustable leveling legs. Some people like to adjust it all the way up because the height of the machine is a bit smaller than countertops.
The casters are smooth-rolling, you won’t have to carry it back to its storage space. You just push and pull it in whatever direction you want. It is very easy to install. You don’t have to be a handyman (or woman) to do it. The package will contain a quick-connect sink adapter and an easy installation kit. Just read the manual, and you should not have any issues setting it up yourself. Read the instruction for use also. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
The Laundry Alternative Wonderwash Non-Electric Portable Washing Machine
The Laundry Alternative really deserves its name. This model is the best alternative to hand washing your clothes when you have no source of energy and no plumbing. Why? Because it’s non-electric, just as the title suggests. It’s a hand-crank unit that can wash a load up to 5 pounds. It may be small, and it may be hand operated, but your clothes will be clean in just a couple of minutes
The concept is not new, this is not the first lever operated washing machine, but unlike previous models, this one comes with a patent-ending E-Z lid lever that makes things a lot easier than the old cover screw design. Just like anything else, this too can evolve into something better.
As far as I am concerned, I believe that this model is perfect for boats, RVs, apartments, singles, and even for a dorm room. You can even wash small loads like clothes that you cannot throw in the washing machine and diapers. You too must own a few clothes in your closet that have a “not machine washable” printed on the label. Well, you can throw that type of clothes in the Laundry Alternative. They will not suffer damage.
And when you think about it, this washer is actually better for woolens, silks, knitted dresses and cashmere clothes that the regular washing machine because this small appliance is nothing else than a glorified hand washing, so to speak.
And you want to know something else? This portable machine uses a lot less water than any other alternative. It requires less water even than hand washing. You can also leave the clothes to soak in if they are particularly dirty. Since it uses no electricity, the investment and the annual cost are as low as it can possibly be. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Pyle Electric Portable Washer & Spin-Dryer
What you will love about this portable washer is that it comes with a dryer option. It doesn’t dry clothes like a regular dryer, but it will spin them enough to increase the speed of air drying. It will remain little to no water in them after this washer finishes the spin cycle.
The design is quite simple, it’s a toploader with an easy access system. The wash capacity is 7.7 pounds, which is pretty good comparing to the other two models. But what I like the most is the transparent tub container window. It will allow you to see how the machine works.
You should know that this portable washer does not require any special fitting or plumbing. The manual will teach you step-by-step how to set it up and how to use it. But to be honest, this is one of the easiest to use portable machines. There is no hassle whatsoever. You just add the water and the detergent. Not to mention that the costs are minimal.
One thing may bother you, though. The hose may not be long enough for your setup. This is a common issue. But there is an easyfix. You can buy some extra clear tube from any store and replace the one that you get in the package. The adapters will fit just fine. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
I don’t really know what to base my recommendation on because each and every one of the models I talked about is best in a particular area. If you want to go camping where resources are non-existent, then The Laundry Alternative is the smartest choice. But if I had to generalize, I would go for the Pyle washer. It washes, it spins and almost dries, it has a larger capacity, which makes it the best portable washing machine as far as I am concerned.
Portability is a sought out thing nowadays. People want to take their comfort with them no matter where they go. Fortunately, technology complies with what people want and comes with multiple solutions. Washing machines make no exception. All you have to do is make a choice. Click here to buy on Amazon
- New Step by Step Roadmap for Portable Washer
- Portable Washer and Dryer Fundamentals Explained
- The Benefits of Portable Washing Machine
- The One Thing to Do for Washing Machine
- What Automatic Washing Machine Is – and What it Is Not
- The Ultimate Guide to Panda Mini Washer
- A Secret Weapon for Portable Laundry Machine
- Top Tips of Small Washer Dryer Combo
- The Most Popular Compact Washer Dryer
- The Appeal of Mini Washer
- Mini Washer and Dryer – Overview
- Compact Washer Dryer Combo Reviews & Tips
- Washing Machines on Sale Exposed
- The Appeal of Haier Washer
- The Basics of Apartment Washing Machine
- What Does Washing Machines for Sale Mean?
- The Death of Portable Washer Dryer Combo
- Vital Pieces of Portable Washing Machine and Dryer
- New Questions About All in One Washer Dryer Answered and Why You Must Read Every Word of This Report
- Why Almost Everything You’ve Learned About Haier Portable Washer Is Wrong and What You Should Know
- Portable Clothes Washer Exposed
- The Hidden Treasure of Compact Washing Machine
- New Ideas Into Small Washer and Dryer Never Before Revealed
- Where to Find Portable Washer Dryer
- Choosing Good Apartment Size Washer and Dryer
- The Recently Leaked Secrets to Washing Machine Sale Disclosed
- The New Angle On Compact Washer and Dryer Just Released
- The Tried and True Method for Cheap Washing Machines in Step by Step Detail
- Mini Washing Machine Secrets
- The Insider Secret on Small Washing Machine Discovered
- The Basic Facts of Stackable Washer Dryer
- What You Must Know About Best Washing Machine
- The Benefits of Haier Washing Machine
- The Meaning of Washer
- Rumored News on Stackable Washer and Dryer Uncovered